Saturday, November 29, 2008

Ripstik!

So, I'm sitting at Einstein's Bagels this afternoon, eating some lunch, and doing thumbnails for the next Stone Arch book. A family comes in and sits at the table next to me and the youngest boy props what looks like a skateboard deck next to me on the floor. Except, it's like no skateboard deck I've ever seen. He notices me staring at it and, forward for a ten year old kid, asks me,

"Is that going to be a problem?"

"No, I've just never seen anything like that before...what is it?"

"It's a Ripstik. You can get them at Target for like fifty nine bucks!"

"Believe me, kid, if I get one of those I would hurt myself so fast, you wouldn't believe it..."

And, so the conversation ended and I went back to work. When the kid was finished with his lunch he asked me if I wanted to come outside and see how it worked. Intrigued, I followed him out of the restaurant.

So, this kid hops on this little board and starts flying around, swooshing this way and that, making it look really easy. Then, it was my turn. I ride a bike, I can rollerblade like a champ, so, I figured, why not?

I did OK at first, getting my balance on this thing, but having trouble making it actually move. And, it was fun. I finally tried to get some speed up and get the thing moving. Of course, being older than fifteen, the inevitable finally happened and I wiped out. I stopped myself with my hands and, from the pain that shot up them, reminded myself why I wear wrist guards when I rollerblade. But, like a ninja, I bounced back up and laughed it off.

So, now, for fifty nine bucks, I may have to run out and get myself one of these Ripstiks. Of course, I'll have to wait for the pain in my right hand to go away. And break my wrist guards out of storage.

Man, I hate getting old. The kids get all the fun toys!

1 comment:

rob! said...

Tracy's niece has one and was demonstrating it to us on Thanksgiving. Had I not been bloated and woozy from overeating i would have tried it!