Monday, June 2, 2014

Happy June!

I honestly can't believe it's June already! This year is going by quick and I already find myself having to worry about my second round of quarterly estimated taxes? Where has the year gone?

You can tell things have been really busy around here based on this month's blog header. It's the first time in 26 months that I haven't had a piece of art related to OilCan Drive to place in the header. Hopefully this piece I did for my friend, Nicole's, business card a while ago will work just as well for you. It's a cute piece, a bit different than I usually do, and I really love it.

 I feel like I've been juggling cats these last few weeks with all that's been going on. I've had multiple client jobs going at once as well as the regular weekly OilCan Drive work. I also got really sick last month and was down for about a week. I was still working because I had to (there are no sick days when you're a freelance artist) but I was nowhere near at the top of my game.

One of the other things I've been working on is getting two OilCan Drive books into print and available through Amazon.com as well as a few other places. It's one thing to write, draw, script, and letter comic book pages all by yourself. It's a whole other thing trying to put that into a book with text and layout and making sure everything looks right and is spelled correctly. There have been more than a few late nights this week where I find myself wondering what the hell I am doing.

But, I think I got it all figured out and, with any luck, I'll have new books in hand for the upcoming Denver Comic Con and then the books will be available online shortly afterwards.

We've also been doing a lot of work on the house and putting down hardwood floors everywhere. So I've had to move my whole studio into a small room with a bunch of boxes and piles of stuff everywhere. It's been tough to keep working but I've really had no choice.

Like I said, it's been a busy month.

This week I'm still juggling a few client jobs and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the newest page for OilCan Drive done by Friday. I've started drawing it but I've found myself on a page again where every character in the book appears at least once. At last count, that's about 16 characters. So, if I'm late this week, or have to push it off until next week, I hope you'll forgive me.

I'd much rather do good OilCan Drive pages and have them late than have them done on the Friday deadline and not looking as good as I know they can. I've always said that the moment OilCan Drive becomes a job is the day I quit doing it. I still love it and it's still fun but I may need a little more time to get the job done the way I want it done. Hopefully my editor won't fire me for being late :)

Okay, time to get back to it. Have a great one, everyone! I'll talk to you soon!

No comments: