Friday, June 3, 2011

From The Vault - OilCan Drive 2004?

In 2003 I was still working a full time day job as well as getting a lot of freelance art work that I was doing at night. I was doing so much freelance work, in fact, that, by September of that year, I was able to leave the full time day job and become a full time working artist again.

From being in debt to having enough money to quit a job in less than nine months. So, yeah, I was pretty busy.

Of course, I figured, if I was doing OK while doing all that freelance work AND having a full time job I'd have TONS of free time on my hands to do more personal projects if I didn't have the job type job getting in the way. So, I made plans to work on the OilCan Drive comic book. I figured I could easily have the first issue completed and printed by the fall of 2004. I mean, that was a year away. And I would need something to fill all of my free time I suddenly had.

But, of course, there was no 2004 OilCan Drive book. As soon as I left the job type job the freelance art career REALLY took off. I found my self juggling more clients and working on projects that were paying me money I never dreamed of when I started wanting to do art for a living. And, because I got so busy, OilCan Drive got put on the back burner. Again.

I mean, I did make enough money to buy my first house but, still, seeing this little promo piece I put together back then makes me sad now. Even if I had done just one book a year I'd have seven issues done by now. And that's not bad at all.

But, yeah, sometimes life gets in the way of your dreams.

I still plan on doing OilCan Drive comic books at some point. Here's hoping I can learn from my past mistakes and finally get it right this time.

That is, unless the freelance art career gets too busy again. We shall see.

Have a great weekend.

No comments: