Friday, April 24, 2009

From The Vault - OilCan Drive 2001

I figured I'd keep in the theme of OilCan Drive for this installment of "From the Vault".

These were the three sketch pages I put in the back of the first OilCan Drive book I "published" back in 2001. And, when I say "published" I mean printed out at Kinkos and pretty much gave away to anyone who wanted one.

The purpose of these pages was to try and explain where OilCan Drive had come from. I conceived the idea in early 2001 and this hodge podge of art is some of the first images of my cartoon band. Each page pretty much speaks for itself, as I put little blurbs of information next to the drawings and sketches. Click on any one of them to enlarge and read for yourself.

Looking back now I can see how far I've come as an artist. I cringe while looking at some of the facial structures and proportions of the characters. But, I guess when the day comes and I look back at my old stuff and find I HAVEN'T gotten better then that's the day I should give it all up.

Still, the initial idea and concept for this band is sound and I love it to this day. It's brought a whole new world of characters to run around in my head, has me playing guitar, plucking bass, hitting drums, writing songs, and trying to figure out how to sing. This band brought music into my life and I thank them every day for it. I don't know where I'd be today if not for these characters and what they've shown me.

But, geez...looking at the drawings...thank the Heavens above that someone out there was willing to give me illustration work and a viable career. Looking back, I just don't see it. Thank God someone out there did.

No comments: