Thursday, October 9, 2014

Sports Illustrated Kids September


Oops, September got so busy around here what with road trips, plane trips, trips to Maine, a failing computer, and getting ready for the 24 Hour Comic Day Challenge, that I totally forgot to show off the "What's The Call" illustrations for the September issue of Sports Illustrated Kids.

Sorry about that but, here I am, in the early days of October, ready to make it up to you.

September was a fun month for the WTC illustrations. I got to draw a little bit of football without having to draw two complete teams squaring off, a little bit of lacrosse, and a baseball piece that had a fun challenging background I needed to create to fill the space.

On the baseball piece I also laid in the text to show my art director how I thought the piece might lay out in the final print on the magazine page. It gives you a good idea of the things I have to think about when creating these pieces. Not only do I have to do a decent piece, showing off the action of each scenario, but I have to make sure they all fit right into the magazine page. Sometimes, given the situations, it can be a challenge.

But, I am guessing, because they keep coming to me each month, that I am doing a pretty good job so far.

I am starting the illustrations for the year end December issue today and, after having thumbnailed the pieces out and getting approval, I am really looking forward to starting them.

So, it's back to the drawing board for me to tackle the new Sports Illustrated pieces, script and letter my 24 Hour Comic Day story, ink the next page of OilCan Drive, and maybe start a new piece that I've been inspired to do just for the fun of it.

I hope you're all doing great and I'll talk to you soon!


No comments: