Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Ryan Burke Trading Card Inks

Alright, I guess the third time's the charm when it comes to doing this Ryan Burke OilCan Drive trading card. I showed you my second attempt last time (I won't even get into the first attempt) and this one finally feels like it fits with the rest of the cards I did for the band.

When I did the last one where Ryan is playing his guitar and singing I realized the rest of the band's cards looked like they were all posing for a photographer while Ryan's looked like an onstage action shot. It just didn't fit with the other three cards.

This time I made Ryan posing like he's going to be in a magazine and it finally fits with the rest. The one thing I really like about this pose that I didn't even realize until I was inking it is how Ryan's right hand fingers are gently touching the guitar. It reminds me of the scene in the movie Tombstone where Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday character is lightly running his fingers across his holstered pistol and saying, "does this mean we're not friends anymore...why, if we're not friends I just don't think I could BEAR it."

So, yeah, I dig that.

Of course, I meant to get a photo of the penciled piece but I totally got distracted and just started inking away. Before I knew it I was done and realized I forgot to take a photo. Oops. Sorry about that.

Also, the results are in for the OilCan Drive cover song contest and the final tallies are below. Thank you to everyone who took the time to vote.

1. 39.3% The Outfield - Use Your Love
2. 21.7% Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
3. 17.3% Bruce Springsteen - Growing Up
4. 13.1% Warren Zevon - Poor Poor Pitiful Me
5. 8.6% Pete Townshend - Let My Love Open The Door

So, it looks like the band will be doing a version of The Outfield's Use Your Love. Now they just need to learn how to play it and get it all done under deadline. So much to do and so little time.

Thanks again everyone and have a great one! See you next time!

No comments: