Thursday, August 28, 2014

Draw Faster!

I woke up earlier this morning and, for the life of me, I just couldn't get back to sleep. My mind was just racing with too many ideas. So, I finally gave in, got up, and dragged myself into the studio to start the day.

Between my career doing freelance art for clients, doing my own web comic, writing and recording music, and being married, you'd guess I wouldn't even have enough time to think of doing anything new. But, there are always a few things that I want to add to my already busy schedule and this morning, as I tossed and turned in bed, I simply couldn't get one of them out of my mind. So, maybe this idea needs to be explored a bit more and I'll have to see if I can carve some time out of my already busy week to make it happen. I don't want to talk too much about that idea yet until I see if it's feasible or not but we'll see how it goes.

Another idea I have that I'd like to explore is the reason I am showing off these three pieces I did for an advertising agency a few months ago. The thing I love about doing art for ad agencies is that they usually need something produced very quickly. It's a normal thing for me to get a job on a late Monday afternoon where the finished pieces are needed the next morning at the start of the day. I've seen more than my fair share of old episodes of "I Love Lucy" and "The Golden Girls" as I pulled off all-nighters to get the work done.

You'd think it would be a hassle and a pain to work so quickly but I actually thrive on it. Oh, I wouldn't want to do it all the time but, every once in a while, it's really fun to get out of my own way and just draw and create as fast as I can without having the time to second guess myself. And, after all these years of doing art like this, I have to say I think I've gotten pretty good at it.

These three pieces were assigned to me on a Sunday afternoon and I finished them sometime right after dinner that same night. And, for the short time they took to create, I really liked the way they came out.

So, it got me thinking about an annual event coming up in October that I'd like to try out. I need to talk to a local store owner to see if I can get into the event but I don't think that will be a problem. Doing the event itself scares me a bit but in that good way. It will be a way to test myself and see what I can do for myself in the same amount of short time I sometimes get from some of my best clients. If nothing else, I know it will be a learning experience. As the time of the event draws closer I'll let you know more.

But, for now, I am off to get myself a bowl of cereal and start the day. There is still a lot of art to do before I pack my bags next week and drive east to Maine.Maybe that is the real reason my mind wouldn't stop spinning this morning and finally kicked me out of bed. Too much to do!

Have a great day everyone! I'll talk to you soon!


No comments: