Sunday, March 27, 2011

Driving Test

On Thursday I found myself with some free time so I decided to jump back into the OilCan Drive pool and draw a picture of the band I've been wanting to do for a long time.

The idea was to have the whole gang on one motorcycle having the time of their life. I had sketched the idea out in my notebook a while ago and even went so far as to get some reference of a motorcycle that I liked.

So, I sat down late Thursday afternoon and started sketching the piece out.

The problem was is that it just didn't feel like it was working. Right from the initial blue line pencil sketch I wasn't sure I was moving in the right direction. So, I decided to quit.

And sometimes, when you quit, that's when you can really let loose and just keep going, not caring how the piece comes out. So, I decided to chuck out the idea of doing a good piece and test myself to see how fast I could do it.

I started with a blank piece of paper around 4:30 in the afternoon and was done with the penciling in time for dinner at 6:00. Monika and I went out, got some dinner, and I watched a bit of the hockey game. I kept staring at the pencils as I paced back and forth during commercials.

Then I decided, to hell with it, I'm going to ink it and see how much I can get done before I go out for my bike ride at 10:30. So, I sat down at 8:00 and started inking. By 10:30 this is how far I got.

So, while there are still things here and there that still bug me about this piece I can look at it now and really admire how much I can do in a little less than four hours.

Not bad. I may still have a comic book inside of me yet if I can keep a pace like that.

I hope you enjoy and have a great week!

No comments: