Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Fond Memories

In the late fall of 1994, I had the chance to meet Will Eisner at a lecture he was giving in Washington DC. Will Eisner is considered one of the most important contributors to the comic book medium and for his leading role in establishing the graphic novel as a form of literature. I had driven for hours from northern New Jersey down to Washington DC by myself and sat in the auditorium to hear this legend speak about his work and his life.

On January 3rd, 2005, when I read Will Eisner had passed away, I cried.

I didn't cry because the industry had lost one of its founding fathers that meant so much to it. I didn't cry because of all he had accomplished and all that I'd miss now that he was gone. I didn't cry because it was what I was "supposed to do."

I cried because, while I was sitting there alone in an auditorium in Washington DC, Will Eisner walked up to the podium, looked out into the crowd, looked right at me, and smiled.

It was a warm, genuine, and comfortable smile. Not the smile of a man who was trying to sell you something or put one over on you. But, a confident, laid back, humble smile. The smile of a man who had done his best in life and fought his battles where he could. The smile of a man who, while he may not have made every right choice in life, was genuinely happy with who and where he was. It was the kind of smile that said, "it's OK, kid, I'm nervous too...but I've been here before and we'll get through this one together."

It's that smile I thought about when I heard Will Eisner had passed away.

And, it's that same smile I saw tonight on Barack Obama's face when he came to greet the crowd to accept his role as our newest leader.

"It's OK, kid, I'm nervous too...but I've been here before and we'll get through this one together."

Congratulations, Mr. President.

1 comment:

rob! said...

nice story! if Obama is 1/3rd as brilliant as Eisner, we'll be ok.