Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Limbo

Today, Monday, felt like a day lost in limbo. Between the time change yesterday and the big election tomorrow, today felt like a day that got lost through the cracks. It got dark too early and everyone around me seemed very pensive and on edge.

My four day old pumpkin, at 2am, is still lit up outside on the porch. Even with Halloween a memory, I find it's natural orange glow very comforting. Of course, the squirrels have gotten to him a bit and he's missing his lid. I found a squirrel this afternoon had pulled it off and was gnawing away at it. I chased him off but when I got home tonight the pumpkin's top was nowhere to be found. I was hesitant to look over the edge since I was afraid I'd see one of my elderly neighbors three stories below knocked out with a pumpkin top lying beside them. Maybe I'll check tomorrow when the sun is up and I can see better. But, for now, the pumpkin's candle is still burning brightly inside and he's keeping his smile. So, that makes me feel good.

OK, off to bed and then up to vote. I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be one hell of a day.

No comments: