Thursday, April 5, 2012

Volcano Island! Part 4

One of the problems with this job is that I'd turn in pencil sketches and designs on Monday and wouldn't hear anything back until Thursday night. With a new deadline on the following Monday I was usually really busy over the weekends trying to get stuff done.

So, when it came time to ink this giant detailed piece I only had two days to do it. But, I sat down, put some music on, and got my hands dirty with ink.

The token the kid has in his hand hadn't been designed yet so I left it open so I could put the approved design in later. And I was asked to put some more vines and leaves up on the cliff the kid is climbing. There always seemed to be little changes going on all over this piece.

I finally got the inks done, scanned the piece into the computer and laid down some quick color on it for the color rough. I knocked the background down a bit to give the piece a sense of atmospheric perspective.

I figured with the inks out of the way and the initial color laid down most of the heavy lifting on this piece was done.

But, sometimes you aren't close to done, you're just getting started.

Have a great day.

2 comments:

rob! said...

But, sometimes you aren't close to done, you're just getting started.

Man, ain't that the truth.


This piece looks fantastic, truly. I think one of your best.

Sean Tiffany said...

Thanks, Robbo. Wait till you see where it goes from here.