Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Epic Fail!

 After deciding on and creating the basic cover layout for the OilCan Drive books last week I decided to sit down and try and create the newest book's cover.

I know that the book running on the OilCan Drive website now is the last filler book I have before I need to create some brand new content. And, when that new content starts I'll need a cover for the new story. It will, of course, be the first thing shown. So I figured I better get it done sooner than later.

The problem I had is that I've drawn so many "number one" covers for OilCan Drive (a fact that my friends won't seem to let me live down) that I couldn't think of a neat new way to put four band members in a new, cool pose. I looked at old record album sleeves and I looked at magazine covers like Rolling Stone and Entertainment Weekly but nothing seemed to feel right.

So, I simply sat down and started drawing.

My first attempt aped the sketch I did when I was designing the front cover elements. I sketched it out in blue pencil but there were a few things that felt off about it. Nicole ended up a bit too small and I never felt quite right about Ryan's kneeling pose. Plus, I couldn't figure out what exactly Ryan was kneeling on in the first place that put him so high up on the piece. I abandoned the piece before even moving on to the pencil sketch stage

I gave it another try and, this time, I actually got to the pencil stage. Again, it felt a bit off but I thought maybe if I just kept working the art things would figure themselves out. Even when I finished the pencil sketch I still wasn't quite feeling it but I didn't let that stop me.

I inked a few figures on that cover and finally threw up my hands in defeat. There are parts of it I like but there was too much that wasn't working for me to continue.

So, now I still need a cover and I still don't have any ideas. But, I have a little bit of time left. And I'm hoping that I can come up with something before my self imposed deadline hits. We'll just have to see how it all turns out.

But, for now, enjoy the attempts and have a great day!


No comments: