Saturday, January 25, 2014

Sports Illustrated Kids July

 Whew, what a week! I woke up on Monday morning with a sore throat and it just went downhill from there. As the week progressed I found myself laying on the couch most days and catching up on TV shows as I got sicker and sicker. I'm feeling a bit better today but I am still full of snot and coughing up stuff on a regular basis. But, I think I am past the worst of it and almost ready to get back to the drawing board.

I did miss a whole week of working on the OilCan Drive webcomic which put me behind schedule a bit but at least I found enough strength to finish up and post the latest page late Thursday night. I honestly don't know if anyone would have cared if I did miss a week but it felt like a personal accomplishment to get it up while I was feeling so bad. So, at least there is that.

And, as I clear out the Sports Illustrated Kids archive from last year, here are the three illustrations I did for the July issue of SIK. I really like the way the football piece came out and the greatest thing about doing these illustrations over the years is that it has really pushed me to always be drawing full figures interacting with each other in different situations. With comic book work or kid's books or even some magazine work it is easy to cheat and cut figures off at the waist or hide the parts of them you don't really want to draw.

But, with SIK it's always full figures and there is no where to hide.

So, while I've really enjoyed the work and the people I've been working with up at SIK, I love that doing these illustrations has pushed me to become a better artist. I always enjoy a challenge and work like this keeps me on my toes.

And, now that I'm feeling a little better I have a few new illustrations in mind. Hopefully I can make my way to the desk soon to see if I can get some of these image out of my head and onto paper.

Have a great weekend and I'll talk to you all soon.


No comments: