Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Batman and Ryan

When I was running the Kickstarter campaign for OilCan Drive last fall a few friends of mine suggested I do a more commercial pin-up and post it on DeviantArt to attract a few new viewers. I figured I had nothing to lose so I did a piece of Batman villain Harley Quinn riding a bomb a la Miley Cyrus riding her wrecking ball.

I posted the piece, linked it to a few Batman-centric pages on DeviantArt, and the hits just went through the roof. The problem was that I could get people to check out the Harley Quinn piece but that didn't mean they were coming over to the OilCan Drive web-comic site or the Kickstarter campaign.

So, I thought I'd try another test this month. I'd draw a well known character and team them up with my own original character. That way, hopefully, I could get the same amount of hits because of the well known character but I could also try and drive them to my own site by showing off my own character.

And what better character to grab people's attention than the big man himself, Batman!

So, I sketched up this piece of Ryan Burke from OilCan Drive standing alongside Batman. If nothing else it is really fun to draw my interpretation of a well known character that I love. I'll ink it up, add some color, and see what happens when I put the piece on DeviantArt.

And, worst case scenario, I have a cool piece for March's blog header.

Keep your fingers crossed. We'll see how this goes in a few days!

No comments: