Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Web Comic

I've been having the itch to do another OilCan Drive comic book again lately and I've been thinking that it might be better to do this one as a web comic rather than a printed book.

As much as I love doing books and seeing them printed, honestly, if I look back over every book I've done, I don't think I've ever made my money back on printing any of them. So, if I'm not going to make any money doing it and I'm still going to do it the easiest answer I could come up with is to simply do one and put it up on the OilCan Drive web page once it gets done.

The only stumbling block I am having is how to format it. The last few OilCan Drive books I had gone completely off the books and done square, 8"x8" books to mimic the old 7" album sleeves. But, while working on the Exit 6 collected book I found a renewed love for the old 10"x15" tall format. But, would a tall image, scaled from 10"x15" work on a computer screen? I took an idea from a friend and chopped the page in half, making each image a horizontal 10"x7.5". It works and looks like an old Sunday comic strip and I could put the images together to make a 10"x15" scaled image if I did print it as a comic book.

But, would making two Sunday strip style comics per page hurt the storytelling? I don't know and it's something I've been wrestling with for a while now. I figured if I did a quick sketch of the page size it might help but it only leads to more questions.

I do like this page, though. I especially like the fourth panel's dialogue where one small character is saying to another, "no need for stupid!" Can I write or what?

So, what do you think of the format? What do you think would work best and be the easiest to read? I really need some help here before I start down the wrong path.

Of course, when I asked one friend she probably gave me the best advice I've gotten so far...

"Just start drawing it and it'll look fine. You'll figure out the rest later..."

Ha ha ha....so, I may just do that. We shall see.

Have a great day.

No comments: