Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Running Back Dreams

This is the second image I did for the Jake Maddox book, "Running Back Dreams."

The first try at it the main character was turned a bit to the right, running off screen. Editorial felt it might be a bit more powerful if he was turned just a little more towards us. Not much. Just a little.

Well, of course, turning a character you've penciled on paper isn't as easy as just clicking a mouse or pushing the F4 key. So, back to the drawing board I went and re-penciled the character.

I do like him a bit better now than my initial try. I like that you can see the joy and happiness in his face directed at us, the reader, than at some unseen thing off the side of the page. So, while I may not like redrawing things they usually do end up better for the extra effort.

Now, it's back to the drawing board to do some little extra pieces for the OilCan Drive book. It always seems those little extra efforts always pay off in the end.

No comments: