Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bone 20th Anniversary

Over on Boneville, Jeff Smith's website featuring all things Bone, there was post put up that the San Diego ComicCon's Souvenir Book is now taking art submissions to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Bone.

Being a huge fan of the Bone comic book (and seeing as how I just reread through the entire series in the last week) I decided to put pencil to paper and see what I could come up with.

The weird thing about Bone is that, unlike say a Spider-Man or a Bat-Man, unless Jeff Smith himself draws the characters they just don't look quite right. So I found myself struggling a bit with simply aping Jeff's style and trying to put my own style onto it a bit. But, the problem is that, the more I put my own spin on things, the more the characters just look wrong.

Plus, I'm not sure if I am just spinning my wheels doing this piece either. I doubt I'd be selected to be in the book at the end of the day. It seems anytime I put my stuff out there into the comic book world I get a polite, "thanks but no thanks" kind of vibe. Maybe I should just stick to my own stuff.

Ah well, we'll have to see how it looks when I ink it.

OK, have a good one. Talk to you soon.

No comments: