Friday, January 6, 2012

Jake Maddox Wears Macbeth Shoes

This week I finished up my sixty second book for the Jake Maddox line of sports books for children. Sixty two books! I look at that number now and remember a time when I really wanted to do a children's book and wished someone would give me the chance. And now I've done sixty two of them all for one company.

Here are a few interior shots of one of the books that was recently published called BMX Challenge.

You'd think doing black and white interiors on a book would be easier than doing full color and, while you'd be right, you can see that it's not so easy. Over the years of doing these book interiors each piece has turned into a little gray-scale painting that is sometimes even more challenging than painting in full color. But, it always seems to work out and it's a whole different way of creating a piece than if I had every color in the world on my palette. I've really come to enjoy it.

Another thing on the newly published books I snuck in is that I had a few of the main characters wearing my favorite shoes by a company called Macbeth Footwear. I used to simply put the characters in Chuck Taylors or generic sneakers but I've always really loved the little "M" design on the Macbeth shoes and it seems to fit well when you have a character pedaling bikes or riding skateboards. Plus, it's nice to know that the Macbeth company themselves have seen that I do this from time to time and, instead of getting mad at me or threatening to sue, they really encouraged me to keep doing it and loved that I used their sneakers this way.

Now if I could just get an endorsement deal I'd be all set.

The other cool thing about these books is that I'll be sending signed copies out to a fundraiser for child literacy where the books will be auctioned off and the proceeds will then be used to buy more books for kids in need who can't afford their own. I couldn't say no to such a cause and I hope these books do some good for them and help a few kids out.

OK, back to the drawing board to work up some new stuff. Enjoy your weekend and have a great day!

2 comments:

Jeff Lafferty said...

Dear Lord, sixty-two kids books, that's amazing!
Jeff

Sean Tiffany said...

And if you count the collected books they did which collected some of the books in certain series (four race car books) into one book I think the number is more like sixty-five or sixty-six total books.

And that's not even counting the ones they then translated into Spanish.