Monday, January 14, 2013

OilCan Drive, The Movie Script


Today the newest round of demos from the OilCan Drive project starts on the OilCan Drive webcomic site. This round is from 2008 and, even though the art for the 2008 year only amounts to seven images, these are important to me more for what you won't be seeing on the site.

In late 2007 I had an idea for a new OilCan Drive story. Instead of starting the art with a bare bones sketch of a story or just making it up as I went along I decided to take a different approach. I'd worked with other writers before and I'd found one of my favorite ways to work with a writer is when they write a movie type script.

So, I decided I'd write an OilCan Drive movie script of my own.

In late 2007 and 2008 I wrote a full 120 page movie script for OilCan Drive. Part of me just wanted to see if I could do it. I did it, I revised it, and I really enjoyed the hell out of telling a story this way.

The problem came when I sat down to do the art for the story. I had already told the story to myself so many times over by writing the script that nothing felt new and exciting and I quickly abandoned  the art for the project.

But, I still love the story and I wonder, now that the art is going out into the world on the OilCan Drive webcomic site, if I should give a link to a downloadable and readable version of the script itself.

What do you think? Is this something you would want to download and read? Or should I keep it to myself and not share it with the world. I am really on the fence about this and I go back and forth on it every time I think about it.

But, if the script goes out into the world or if it's never seen by anyone but me, I hope you enjoy the next few weeks of pages and wonder, along with me, what might have been.

Have a great day.

No comments: