Sunday, September 6, 2015

Video Shoot

My friend Lou came over today and we did a quick video shoot of one of the recent songs he and I recorded to test some of the cinematic ideas I've had over the past week.

We used one of his songs called "Undiscovered" that we recorded last June. He started with a simple piano riff and, while I recorded and engineered, he came up with this song. He hadn't shot a video for it yet so I thought it was a perfect candidate to do some tests on.

Using my old GoPro Hero2 mounted to the cheap steady cam I built last week I shot Lou singing the song in the front of my living room. We taped at a few different frame speeds so I could test out some slow and fast motion effects to see what both the GoPro and Adobe Premiere could do. I've only used Premiere once and that was a while ago so it took me a bit to reacquaint myself with the system.

I had some trouble syncing up the different video speeds to the original audio because Premiere had trouble processing the video so, when I tried to make sure the lips were singing the right part of the song, the video simply jumped and skipped around so I had no idea how close I was. I got the best I could and then rendered the video.

I thought the video output would be the same parameters as the project parameters but apparently you have to tell the program how you plan to output it. So, after and hour spent on that first rendering, I had to start the whole process over again. Ugh. It took a few tries but I finally got something rendered that wasn't half bad.

It's been a long day but I'll upload the video tomorrow so you can check it out. It's by no means perfect but it was an interesting test. And, I think I may have even learned a few things.

Have a great one and I'll see you all soon!

No comments: