Sunday, October 18, 2009

Demos! Part Two

So, I finished up the final few demo songs for the OilCan Drive album last night. After listening to them a few times I went back over the recordings this morning and made a few tweaks. One song needed one more measure in the bridge while another just felt a little too fast so I took the tempo down a bit.

And one song I have no idea what to do with. It's called "Three Minute Pop Song" so, for obvious reasons, I'm trying to make it exactly three minutes. The problem is that I took the original arrangement of the song, which clocked in at exactly three minutes, and sped the tempo up a bit. So, then I added a few measures in there to still make it fit the time. But now it feels like there is a bit too much dead space at the beginning. Ah well, I can always fill it out later with some wacky guitar parts or some dialogue of the band arguing.

A lot of these songs have never been recorded and a lot of them still have no definitive lyrics. So, I would just play them and make up words as I went, trying to fit the sounds and meter in my head. With that kind of "stream of consciousness" writing on the fly some interesting ideas came forth. So much so that Monika is now convinced that one of the songs I was making up as I went along is definitely about anal sex. I'm not sure if that's what was in my mind as I made lyrics up or what she's reading into it. Time will tell.

But, after three days of recording, the demo is done.

I think, for now, it's a good first "sketch" of what the album will sound like. Like I said before, this is a bare bones, seat of my pants, idea. But it's good to finally have the whole thing finally out of my head so I can can sit back and give it a good constructive listen.

Now to find the time in my schedule to put the REAL album into production.

2 comments:

Jeff Lafferty said...

Interesting, it cool reading the inner workings of how a song gets made.
Jeff

Sean Tiffany said...

I'm not sure how anyone else does it but this seems to be working for me. We'll have to wait and see how it all turns out in the end.