Saturday, October 17, 2009

Demos!

I've spent the last two days doing demos and scratch tracks for the OilCan Drive music album.

It's been going well so far and I have eleven out of the thirteen tracks laid out and in a form that's decent enough to listen to, hear the song, and figure out the arrangement. I would have had all thirteen done but I've found, with Monika home from work and sitting on the couch right near me, that playing guitar and singing gibberish lyrics into a microphone is not all that comfortable. Believe me, I've tried it. I got through one verse and felt really self conscious. So I stopped and called it a night.

Every song is basically me playing acoustic guitar on a few parts and singing along. It's not slick or polished in the least. It's the basic bare bones of the song and what I'm most worried about now is the feel of the song, the way it sounds, and the arrangement. Unfortunately there is no A-B-C formula to writing a song so there is no one right way to do it. My fear is that there may be too many wrong ways to do it as well.

I'm at that point where, maybe because I've been listening to every song and thinking about it WAY too much, I think the whole idea of an album and me writing songs is a huge waste of time. Every song sounds boring and over played but, again, that could be because every song on this album has been in my head for years and I've been listening to them far longer than any CD has ever survived in your disc player after multiple listens.

But, I'm stubborn enough to keep going. I'll get it done and have a few trusted people listen to this mess I've made and see what they think.

Eleven tracks down...two to go.

No comments: