Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wish I Was a Little Bit Taller..

After dinner last night I blue line penciled out this OilCan Drive group shot that I had done a quick thumbnail sketch for last week.

After taking a bike ride, working out, and watching Sons of Anarchy, I sat back down and penciled out the details of the piece before I went to bed. I knew Ryan was in the foreground, stretching himself out but I didn't know why. I didn't question it, I just kept drawing. My characters seem to do what they want sometimes and I've found it's better not to argue with them.

So, it wasn't until after I woke up this morning and looked at the piece again that I realized what Ryan was doing. Ryan is in the foreground, stretching himself to as tall as he can get, because he is the shortest member of the group. Even Nicole is about an inch or two taller than him.

I guess Ryan, feeling he is the lead member of the group (I hear lead singers can get that way), wants the world to think he is the biggest member in the band. When the photographers take the band out to shoot publicity photos of them Ryan always feels the need to be front and center. Honestly, sometimes he can be a real pain in the ass. In this particular photo it looks like he wants the world to think he is the towering force behind (or in this case, in front of) OilCan Drive. The lead singer, the chief songwriter, the main man...

Or, maybe he just wishes he was a little bit taller.

No comments: