Monday, October 26, 2009

Signatures

Here is the last penciled OilCan Drive piece to come off of my art table before the client work begins again. As I've said before, I'm going to try and work my schedule to see if I can do both the client work and the personal OilCan Drive work at the same time. I usually wait until I get a big chunk of time off from client work before diving back into the personal stuff but I am loving the personal work too much this time to just let it go for months on end. So, we'll see how that turns out.

Another thing I'm having to remind myself to do as I pencil out these personal pieces is to actually sign my work. What a weird thing, to actually have to remind yourself to sign your own work.

But in recent years I've found, particularly when doing client work, that one of the client's requests is that you not sign any of your work. I don't know when this came about or why. I don't know if it is a personal issue with a client or the result of some focus group where people said a signature on a piece of art really confused them. I just don't know. But, it's gotten to the point where, even when I do my own work, for myself, I have to remind myself I CAN sign my work.

Imagine a time when a publisher would ask a Norman Rockwell not to sign his work. Picasso? No, thanks...we love your work but please don't sign it. Da Vinci? No, we're good without letting the public know who drew this piece.

It's amazing the compromises you'll make for a paycheck.

2 comments:

rob! said...

Geez, that made me realize I haven't signed my work in years...magazines give me a credit somewhere on the page, but an actual signature? The only reason I have to remember how to sign my name is cashing the checks!

Sean Tiffany said...

That's true...I am usually credited somewhere, especially if it's work for a book or magazine...but sometimes there is no credit given at all. But it seems no one wants your signature on your work.

That is, until I send out books or prints to friends and family, forget to sign it, and the first thing they ask is, "why didn't you sign these!?!?" in such a way that they feel I don't like them.

The world continues to confuse me.