Friday, November 13, 2009

From the Vault - EXIT 6 Storyboards 1990

Building off of the character sheet that I featured last week, one of the following assignments was to use that character in a storyboarded movie trailer. Click on the image to take a closer look at each panel and read some of the oh so witty dialogue that I dreamed up as a teenager.

My guess is that it had to be sixteen panels long. I can't imagine at this time, with the workload of school assignments I had, that I was going above and beyond what the assignment called for.

The whole assignment looks to have been done with markers and maybe a touch of colored pencil.

Working on as many advertising storyboards as I have in the last few years I can pretty much tell you that what I was doing in 1990 as a school assignment is pretty much the same as I was doing for paying gigs at ad agencies. And that was working as fast as I could to meet the deadlines. The agencies don't want pieces of art they can frame on the wall and admire. No, they just want something in hand when they walk into a meeting with a client so they can better explain their vision for the next ad campaign.

But this was a fun one. A trailer for an EXIT 6 movie. I can only dream that such a thing would ever actually happen. The closest I came was about ten years ago when I received a fax from 20th Century Fox going over, point by point, why they had decided not to pick up EXIT 6 as a possible movie option.

But, it was still cool to have a fax letting me know that some big movie studio even knew I existed.

And, as for this assignment? Well, as you can see, here is the grade I got on it.

4 comments:

rob! said...

B-/C+ seems harsh.

Sean Tiffany said...

Well, it was a Mike Chen class, after all.

Jeff Lafferty said...

Cool stuff Sean, I’m kind of amazed at how similar your style was to some of my really old stuff.
Jeff

Sean Tiffany said...

Jeff, does this mean I can someday be as good as you are? Hope hope...