Friday, November 27, 2009

From The Vault - Keith Howard Tests 1995

Before I started the EXIT 6 books I would put Keith Howard into all sorts of illustrations. Sometimes they'd work out and sometimes they wouldn't.

When I'd find myself with a penciled piece that wasn't quite working out or not looking exactly like I wanted it to look I'd stop drawing it.

But then I'd do something weird.

I wouldn't just abandon the piece. I'd play with it some more, knowing it would never see the light of day and that if I screwed it up anymore it really wouldn't matter. So I'd pull out the black ink, the water colors, the acrylic paints, and the white out, and I'd play with painting a little bit.

Here are two experiments I found under the bed in Maine. Half done, never used for anything, but, I'm sure at the time, fun to play with.

That's what art is all about. Playing around, experimenting, and testing the waters until you can figure out what works for you and what looks good. Just keep working and having fun.

Having fun...that's what it's all about.

2 comments:

rob! said...

I don't recall ever seeing the Keith Packing Heat piece before...pretty cool!

Sean Tiffany said...

There's a lot of pieces I found in Maine that I didn't even remember ever doing, much less where the idea for the art came from in the first place.

I know, at some point in the story of Exit 6, I had the idea of Keith being geared up with a police belt, baton, pistol, and shotgun. Too bad I just never got there...