Sunday, January 10, 2010

Blink 182 Choir

After messing around with different guitar tones and such yesterday I found something interesting through YouTube. Apparently, with games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero being all the rage there are a bunch of different sound files out there on the web with just the instrumental tracks or vocal tracks from some great songs.

Through them I got to listen to simple vocal performances from Bruce Springsteen, The Who, and even A-Ha (hearing just the vocal take for Take On Me was fascinating.) It was a great learning device to hear a bunch of parts in a song separated and be able to study them in ways I had never heard before.

I even learned that in a bunch of Blink 182 songs, right under the vocal tracks, there are actually organs playing the chords. Who'd have thought that you would ever hear an organ in a Blink 182 song? But, there it was.

So, how could I put some of this new found information to some fun use?

Well, I had separate vocal and instrumental tracks for Blink 182's What's My Age Again. I also had a video from the BBC's show All The Small Things where a church choir performs the song. So, of course, I had to mix them together just to see if I could do it.

The obvious problem was the tempos of both songs were vastly different. But, I didn't let that stop me. I soldiered through, figured it out, and synced a lot of the lines up by hand and ear. I think it turned out well.

Mark Hoppus of Blink 182 has seen the BBC show and said it would be wild to find these performers and have them join the band on stage when they tour England. I have a feeling it might sound something like this.



If you can't view the player in your browser, the link for the song can be found HERE.

And, here are the two original videos for the songs. Enjoy!



No comments: