Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What The?

What do Joan Baez, Johnny Cash, Davey Jones, Nancy Sinatra, The Turtles, and OilCan Drive have in common?

Apparently, we've all done a cover of Bob Dylan's "It Ain't Me Babe."

I just never realized that anyone would ever recognize it. But, while surfing around the web last night I came across DylanCoverAlbums.com, a site that specializes in cataloguing every band who has done a Bob Dylan cover song. And there, under "It Ain't Me Babe", surrounded by Johnny Cash and Davey Jones, was the OilCan Drive cover I created for the CD single a little less than a year ago.

The official listing for the single is as follows:
[3b.1]..OilCan Drive • CD-S: Plastic Spoon no# (US, 2009; 1 track)

You can see the page I found HERE. It's about halfway down the page and the listing is beneath it a bit.

To say I was floored is to put it mildly.

I always figured I was doing music and goofy CD covers for myself and a few friends and family members to see. That someone outside of that circle sat up and actually noticed what I was doing is just amazing. I still have no idea how the people who run this site found out about the band or the single. But, somehow they did. And, that actually gives me hope that I am on the right track.

The official rules for getting listed on the site are:
a. Any format full-length ALBUM with a Dylan song as the TITLE TRACK
b. Any format SINGLE or EP with a picture-sleeve, insert or cover with a Dylan song shown on the sleeve, either as the A, B-side or EP track
c. Any "unofficial" BOOTLEG compilation or live recording with a Dylan song as the TITLE TRACK
d. Translated titles are included, either lyrics & title translated -or- title-only translated.
e. No non-standard contracted or expanded titles (with a few exceptions)
f . To qualify as a Dylan title, the song must satisfy one or both of these rules:
• Listed in the song list at bobdylan.com, with the copyright being for composition, not just arrangement
• Listed in the book "Lyrics 1962-1985" published by Knopf, 1985

So, I must have qualified.

Of course, if Bob himself sees that I've done a cover song of his I might have to write an all new original song called, "If Bob Dylan comes a knockin, looking for a royalty check, tell him I ain't home."

Maybe he'll be nice enough to do a cover of it.

Update: If anyone is interested in hearing the cover song OilCan Drive did of Bob's "It Ain't Me Babe" it can be heard HERE.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OCD Rocks!!! Sean, you're HOT!

Anonymous said...

your site also gets a plug on http://expectingrain.com/
a Bob Dylan blog.

i've just checked out your cover which is grand and will now explore the rest of your site.

have an amazing 2010.

col

Jeff Lafferty said...

Cool your right next to Nancy Sinatra, your famous!!!
Jeff

rob! said...

VIRAL!

Sean Tiffany said...

My thanks to expectingrain.com and everyone who came over from that site to take a look at what I was doing. All I can say is WOW! Thank you all. I really appreciate it and I hope you weren't disappointed.

And Jeff, it's getting there :)

Sean Tiffany said...

Blogger rob! said...

"VIRAL!"

Get the Purell!