Friday, January 22, 2010

From the Vault - T-1000 1992

In my third year at the Kubert School of art, during a caricature class, we were given an assignment to do a caricature of a famous person as an object. Fresh off of my love for the newest Terminator 2 movie, I decided to make the T-100 himself, Robert Patrick, into a toaster.

It probably wasn't exactly what the assignment called for. I think the point was to make a caricature out of objects, but it got the job done. One classmate made Alan Rickman from Robin Hood out of a castle and swords. I think that is more what the teacher had in mind. Ah, well. As you can see from various posts from out of the vault, I wasn't too good at following instructions to the letter and pushed a few things.

But, it did give me a chance to hone some more airbrush skills and to practice some metal techniques. Plus, look at that awesome checkerboard tablecloth and grainy cement-like back wall! Those were other new things I was messing with using the airbrush.

And, in the end, it didn't turn out too bad at all.

4 comments:

Craig Michael Patrick said...

That was 3rd year? Wow, I don't remember that at all.

Sean Tiffany said...

Well, that WAS the year you were "just dealing with shapes" :)

I think you were on a whole different level than the rest of us.

rob! said...

Yeah, we must have not gotten that assignment--like Craig, I have no memory of doing a piece like this.

Sean Tiffany said...

Hmmm...did you guys have to do a caricature piece making a famous person into a animal? That was one of my biggest social faux-pas ever!