Friday, January 29, 2010

From The Vault - Painted Head Study 1995

Another piece from under the bed in Maine!

I did this piece way back in 1995, using a technique where I would airbrush all the dark shadows in first using Dr. Martin Dyes, then cover the whole piece with a blue shade of acrylics, and then go back in at the end and add the white highlights with acrylic and color pencil.

I'm not sure how I came up with this technique but this might have been the first time I tried it.

It would certainly explain why I did just a simple bald head. Bald heads are the best way to try new techniques!

3 comments:

Jeff Lafferty said...

Its cool to see the old stuff, nice job man.
Jeff

Manu said...

It's very nice indeed !

Sean Tiffany said...

I just can't believe I did this piece FIFTEEN years ago! Damn, I'm getting old!